NATURAL DYE BATIK CLASS
To protect our staff and customers from Coronavirus, we are not offering any batik classes until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Time: 9.00—13.30, Monday—Friday
Included: This half-day class offers a hands-on experience of batik making and indigo dyeing, as well as a unique insight into the botany, dye processes and practice of Indonesia’s textile traditions. The class includes a delicious home-cooked vegetarian lunch.
- During a walk through the dye plant botanical garden, you will learn about the plants used by traditional weavers across Indonesia to make natural dyes.
- During the class you will be taught to use the traditional batik tools of canting (drawing pen) and cap (stamps) using wax to create resist designs on cotton.
- After you create your wax design you will apply natural indigo to create your patterns and learn how the indigo dye is made from the plants in the garden.
- Threads of Life only uses sustainably sourced dyes either from our own gardens or from communities that are sustainably harvesting dye plants.
- A delicious prepared freshly lunch is included and will be served while your piece is having its wax removed and being dried.
Age Limit: This class is not appropriate for children under the age of 12 years old.
Class Location: The class is held at the Threads of Life natural dye studio and botanical garden, 4 km from central Ubud.
Meet at 9 am at the Threads of Life gallery, Jalan Kajeng 24, Ubud: The class includes transfers before and after class between the Threads of Life gallery and the class location.
How to Book: This class may be booked via this website or in person at the Threads of Life gallery, Jalan Kajeng 24, Ubud. In both cases, payment in advance is required to secure your place.
Problems booking online within Indonesia: If you experience a declined transaction while trying to book a class when you are in Bali, it might be because the server you are using drops its onward connection to the credit card processor. This problem can be solved by accessing the internet from a different server. For example, if the transaction is declined when you try to book through your hotel’s WiFi, try again from the restaurant you go to for lunch or dinner. If you still experience problems, we can take a manual booking via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and you can pay by credit card or cash at the class.
[The calendar is currently hidden until we are able to take bookings again.]